“A man should not swallow poison because he is afraid to spit & offend others” African Proverb  
Fibroid Series Part V- Rock bottom         I have never felt as much physical pain as I did in the 6 days following my myomectomy. The initial plan        was  to have the fibroid laparoscopically removed, but because the surgeons had no idea how rapidly the         tumor had grown, what started out as a laparoscopic procedure , ended up as open surgery, primarily         because I was losing too much blood & the doctors made the call to cut me open & get the sucker out.        (I had been fore- warned about this possibility)        Since I had to have a tube stuck down my throat during surgery, I was very concerned about this & asked        that extra care be taken, as damaged vocal chords are not a good thing for someone making a living singing.        I kept  a record of every feeling & pain in my body for the 6 days following the surgery.        Day 1- Monday 8th February 2010 (a few hours after surgery) I woke up feeling groggy, with a hoarse, persistently itchy throat & could barely talk loud enough to be heard by someone standing next to my bed. I could barely recognize my abdomen- all I saw was a bloated dis- figured, swollen, bandaged stomach. I was subjected to thrombosis stockings for my entire stay at the hospital , to help prevent blood clots caused by lack of movement. I don’t know about you, but I can’t stand socks or long pants in bed, so these stockings just added to my dis-comfort. I had sharp chest pains which made it very difficult to breathe, causing shortness of breathe. I had a sharp pain in my left foot which doctors couldn’t explain. I had what I called “imploding air bubbles” drfting around in my stomach & on implosion, caused excruciating pain, & I later realized that, by gently but firmly rubbing my stomach simultaneously from both sides , towards the naval & then downward, would lead the air bubbles out allowing me to pass gas & relieve the pain & discomfort. These ‘air bubbles’ continued to harass me for the next week or so. I was on an intravenous drip  providing me with vital nutrients . I had a Foley catheter (urgggh) & another catheter  inserted in a small incision in my lower abdomen to drain blood from the operation field. I discovered a blue liquid dye in my underwear , which the doctor said was injected into my bladder in order to detect any damage done to nearby organs during the surgery. Blessing of the day: I decided it would be best, if there was no coughing or sneezing for the next 2 weeks, as that would be extremely painful, & I feared a stitch or two might come undone. I managed that. Un-be- known to me, my biggest  challenge would be trying not to laugh, since I’m married to a Charlie Chaplin, & I happen to laugh with every muscle in my abdomen!       
Part V continued
© Africa Inside 2015